In early June, Tatmadaw (Burma Army) troops attacked the Karenni village of Daw Nye Ku, shelling and burning homes, sending the villagers fleeing into the hills. On 15 June they burned the new church. As the local People’s Defense Forces (PDF) forced the troops out, Free Burma Rangers medics entered the village to see if anyone required assistance. As they approached the church they noticed an exposed landmine on the edge of the path. FBR reports (19 June): ‘We then carefully retraced our steps out of the church compound and told everybody where the landmine was and said there were probably more. Just as we started to walk away, we heard an explosion, then a scream of pain and anguish. We went back to the church and there are on the ground was a young Karenni volunteer aged 16. His foot was completely gone and his lower leg was a mangled mess… He had stepped on a different mine than the one we had seen and we again realised that the Burma Army had seeded this yard with destruction.’
Please pray for Burma’s long-persecuted, gravely imperilled Christians.
On 1 February 2021, the Burmese military (Tatmadaw) seized power in a military coup d’etat and declared a 12-month state of emergency.
• May the Lord bless the Church with great wisdom as she navigates a very challenging environment involving military violence and new anti-conversion laws designed to “protect” Buddhism.
• May there be an end to the racial (ethnic Burman) and religious (Buddhist) supremacy that is at the root of Burma’s multiple internal military conflicts. May peace and religious freedom be realised.
• May the Lord sustain his long-suffering, persecuted church and intervene on behalf of Burma’s long-persecuted ethnic minority Christian peoples.
• May the Lord intervene to stop the flow of soul-destroying drugs into Burma’s ethnic minority region.
• May the Lord intervene in Wa region to bring an end to the escalating repression and persecution of the Church at the hands of the China-backed United Wa State Army.
• Pray for ousted leaders President Win Myint and State Counsellor Aung San Suu Kyi.
• Pray for the ‘Committee Representing Pyidaungsu Hluttaw [Assembly of the Union: i.e. parliament]’ (CRPH) special its envoy to the United Nations, Dr Sasa, an inspirational, highly regarded ethnic Chin and Christian.
• May the Lord bring peace, justice and liberty to Burma.
- Written by Elizabeth Kendal for Religious Liberty Bulletin, 29 June 2022
- Image by Free Burma Rangers.